- www.aminarts.com – This website is run by the popular Somali cartoonist Amin Amir (based in Canada). The website attracts a huge number of visitors. It’s entertaining cartoons are posted daily and touch on different issues on politics events in Somalia, social affair as well as anti-corruption campaigns. The website generally has a pan-Somali nationalist tone. This website is available in Somali.
- www.Amanhoorey.com – Amaandhoorey is an online based news portal which covers up to-date news in Somalia. The website also covers other things such as local music and Interviews as well as religion. Amaandhoorey.com is
currently in Somali and English.
- www.allahlusunna.com – All-Ahlu Sunna News Agency is the official website used by ASWJ, an Islamic movement in Somalia whose religious ideology is based on the traditional Sufism in Somalia. The movement uses this outlet to broadcast the operations, ideology and teachings of the movement, which now controls a number of regions in South and Central Somalia. Their news reporting is dominated by a number of issues including: reports on Sufi religious rituals within and outside Somalia; positive coverage of the SFG, Ethiopia and AMISOM; and consistent coverage of events in Puntland and Galmudug. The website is available in Somali.
- www.allsbc.com – All SBC website is part of the Somali broadcasting Corporation SBC (which includes SBC radio). The website is considered as fairly serious and reliable. It is available in Somali and in English. Based in Bosasso, it provides extensive coverage of news stories in Puntland and other parts of Somalia.
- www.allgedo.com – All Gedo Online is a popular Somali news outlet, which covers news in South/Central Somalia. As the name suggests, the site is affiliated with the Gedo region in Southern Somalia. The site gives its readers the chance to comment on articles and as an indication of the wide readership the site attracts, most of the site’s news posts are subject to considerable discussions among the readers. The website uses both English and Somali in its reporting, though the latter is the main medium of communication.
- www.alshahid.net – Alshahid is a media network that covers news in the Horn of Africa in three languages – Somali, English and Arabic, though primarily in Somali. The site is owned and managed by a member of the Somali diaspora in the UK who intended it as a source for “non-partisan news coverage” on Somalia and the Horn, though it is not frequently updated.
- www.azaania.org – Azaania.org is a website presenting news about South Somalia. The website is available in Somali and English.
- www.baidoanews.com – Baidoa News is an online News portal covering News, Music, Religion and Somali History. Available in English and Somali. Baidoa News reports on the latest news in South West Somalia.
- www.baydhabo.com – Baydhabo is a media outlet, mainly in Somali, and its name refers to the capital city of Bay region. The site also uses the Maay Maay language, which is a dialect of Somali prevalent in that area. The
site covers news in Somalia and provides quite extensive coverage of events in Somaliland. In addition to news, the content of the site also includes music (both in Somali and Hindi), movies and comedy. The site uses a non-formal style of reporting and most of its reports are briefly summarized.
- www.bar-kulan.com – This website is among the reliable Somali news websites. It is affiliated to Radio Bar-Kulan and focuses on news from South Somalia, but with coverage of the entire Horn. The website is available in Somali with an English language news page.
- www.bbc.co.uk/somali – The BBC Somali Service website attracts more visitors than most other BBC foreign language websites. The BBC Somali Service is widely regarded as fairly neutral. The website is available in Somali.
- www.calanka.com – This news website is considered fairly trustworthy. It mainly covers events in South Central Somalia. This website is available in Somali.
- www.codkamudug.com – This website is related to Radio Codka Mudug in Galka’ayo (Galmudug region). News coverage is throughout Somalia, though it gives heavy emphasis on coverage of Galmudug State. In addition to
news, the site gives information about health and education in these it areas. It is available in Somali with a few English articles.
- www.codkaqaranka.com – Codka Qaranka is an independent Somali news site owned by Codka Qaranka Media. It focuses on Somalia and Somali diaspora news. It is based in Mogadishu.
- www.dayniilecom.com – The website is available in both Somali and in English.
- www.foreignpolicyblogs.com/author/abukararman – Blog of Abukar Arman, a former diplomat (Somalia’s Special Envoy to the US) and widely published analyst. His focus is Foreign policy/Islam/post-civil war Somalia/extremism. He is a Diplo-Act of a sort (fusion of diplomacy & activism.
- www.harar24.com – This recent and fairly reliable website is available in English.
- www.hiiraan.com – Hiiraan website is one of the most well-regarded Somali news online outlet. It was created in 1999 by a member of Somali diaspora. The owner of the website, Ahmed Haji Gure, started it with the aim of helping Somali people around the world stay connected among themselves and to home. Since its establishment, the site has been broadcasting news in the Horn both in English and Somali, though the latter is its main medium of communication. It publishes articles on a wide range of topics written by columnists, politicians and other eminent contributors, both Somalis and non-Somalis. The website also has reporters in Somaliland, Puntland, and various regions in South and Central Somalia.
- www.hobyonet.com – Hobyo Net is a Somali news outlet based in Galka’ayo, Southern Somalia with special focus on the regions controlled by Galmudug State. It was related to Radio Hobyo but now runs separately. It is available in Somali with links to English articles.
- www.horseedmedia.net – Radio Horseed is a privately owned station, founded in 2007, which used to relay programmes from VOA and Radio. The station was airing 15 hours a day in Bosasso town and its surrounding. It had 17 staff (including guards) and is a member of both of NUSOJ and MAP. Its programming mainly consisted of news, political debates, entertainment and sports. It covered Puntland extensively but also South/Central Somalia. The owner of the station is Mahad Muse Ahmed (diaspora Somali living in Netherland). It was managed by Jamal Isse Hurrun (Director). The website (www.horseedmedia.net) is still active. In June 2010 the radio’s then Director Abdifatah Mire was sentenced for six years in jail after the radio aired an interview with al Shabaab commander in Galgala Mountains. Radio Horseed was shut down on Sept/Oct 2012 following a warrant of closure from Puntland administration on the basis of false reporting on its website. The director of the station refused to publish a written notice stating that the media outlet had report false information as per the instructions of the Puntland authority.
Its website was also restricted in Puntland towns as Puntland officials blamed the radio for inciting
- www.ishabaydhaba.com – This website mainly focuses on Bay and Bakool regions of Southern Somalia. The website is available in Somali with a few news articles in English
- www.jowhar.com – This popular website covers news about the whole of Somalia. It was affiliated to former Radio
Jowhar (in Jowhar) prior to Al Shabab taking over the radio station. The website is available in both
Somali and English.
- www.keydmedia.net – Keydmedia.net is an online news website which aims to provide up-to-date both local and
international unbiased news. Keydmedia.net also features articles, editorials, videos and pictures on
their site. The website is available in Somali & English.
- www.kismaayo.com – Kismayo.com is an online news site which covers daily news, focusing on the community in Kismayo. Kismaayo.com also covers religion. The website is available in Somali & English.
- www.kismaayolive.com – This is a relatively new website and always covers news on Kismayo. The website is available in Somali.
- www.kismaayonews.com – This website is considered fairly trustworthy. It focuses on news on Lower Jubba and is available in both Somali and English.
- www.kismaayo24.com – This website covers Kismayo and Ras Kamboni-related issues.
- www.kulmiyenews.com – This website is affiliated to Radio Kulmiye in Mogadishu. The website is available in both Somali and English.
- www.mareeg.com – This news website is considered fairly trustworthy and is available in both Somali and English.
- www.markacadeey.com – This website is considered fairly reliable. The website is available in both Somali and English.
- www.midnimo.com – Midnimo.com is a Somali news website, established in 2000. It is an independently-operated news agency that specializes in publishing Somali news from direct sources inside Somalia. The Web site is updated throughout the day.
- www.mustaqbalradio.com – The website features both English and Somali news.
- www.qalin.net – This new website is available both in English and in Somali.
- www.qaranimo.com – This website is considered to be fairly unbiased and reliable. The website is available in Somali with a few English articles.
- www.qurbejoog.com – Qurbe Joog News, or Somali Diaspora News, broadcasts news on the Horn of African and Somali communities’ world both in English and Somali. Its directors are based in North America.
- www.radiobanadir.com – The website is affiliated to Radio Banadir. This website is available in Somali.
- www.radiodaljir.com – This website is affiliated with Radio Daljir and it is not so popular but it is one of most trusty-worthy outlets in Puntland. The website is available in Somali. It is owned by Jama Abshir Walde, American
educated, who has now moved to Somalia.
- www.radiomuqdisho.net – This website is run by Radio Mogadishu, the official radio station of the Somali Government. Although it clearly is a pro-Government website which generally relays the government’s views on most issues, it does carry some reliable information and is a respected institution. The website is well updated and covers news related to Somalia not only in Mogadishu or Somalia but also from around the world. The site gives access to online streams of Radio Mogadishu and Somali National Television, both state-run media outlets. It also posts a variety of religious and entertainment media. The website is available in Somali.
- www.radioogaal.com – This website is based in Canada and is available in both Somali and English.
- www.radioergo.org – This website is related to Radio Ergo, which is a humanitarian news source based in Nairobi, Kenya and is funded by the United Nations. This website is available in Somali.
- www.raxanreeb.com – Raxanreeb Online is the online portal of RBC Radio in Mogadishu. It is an investigative website owned by both Diaspora and Somali-based journalists. The site and the radio station cover news mainly on politics in South Central Somalia, Puntland and Somaliland (and the Horn of Africa at large). One can also find information regarding health, education, music and more. The website has reporters in South Somalia, Puntland and Somaliland. The website is available in both Somali and English. It’s owned by Farah Ato a Somali diaspora living in the US.
- www.risaala.net – The website is affiliated to Radio Risaala. It is available in Somali and in English.
- www.sahanjournal.com – Sahan Journal is an African-powered social news website for the connected generation of East Africans and the people of the Horn. SJ is dedicated to separating news from the noise by delivering distilled, exciting, fresh and more visual content that’s interesting, engaging and shareable. This website also seeks to inspire discussion and intelligent debate among readers.”
- www.shabelle.net – This website is run by Shabelle Media Network. The website is available in both Somali and English.
- www.somaliagenda.com – SOMALI AGENDA generally covers the political and security issues that pertain to Somalia. The site is not affiliated with any political or ideological group. Somali Agenda says their is simply to inform. Their readership is from all over the world but especially from East Africa, North Africa and Europe. SOMALI AGENDA was started in 2014 by a group of Somalis in Australia, North America and East Africa.
- www.somalidiasporanews.com – This website is available in both Somali and English.
- www.somalicurrent.com – Somalicurrent.com is an independent, bilingual news site that covers both Somali and international news, blogs and politics. Somali current has headquarters in Somalia as well as the US.
- www.somaliainvestor.so – The Somalia Investor Magazine is a quarterly publication. It reviews and analyses the economic, investment and business sector in Somalia. The publication provides an overview of business and economic opportunities, challenges and gains through reporting and analysis. This publication is owned by both local and foreign journalists. They aim to minimize editorial influence from owners, advertisers, special interest groups, government and international players. They publlish 5,000 copies quarterly with projected cross readership of about 25,000. They also produce an online version of some selected stories from the magazine (wwww.somaliainvestor.so). The magazine gets about 230,000 visits per month. The audience target is Somali Diaspora (the English speaking community). Articles are written in English and there are plans to have a Somali version in the near future.
- www.somalianewsroom.com – Somalia Newsroom is a well-informed news blog that was created on April 15, 2012 and is managed by Cleophus (Tres) Thomas, a PdD student and Africa Analyst at a consulting firm in Washington, D.C. focusing on issues in the Horn of Africa.
- www.somalitalk.com – Somali talk was created in 1999 in Mogadishu. The website focuses on reports about Somalia whether it is a political, environmental or humanitarian perspective. The website is available in Somali. It has 10 employees and is a member of NUSOJ.
- www.somaliupdate.com – Somaliupdate.com is an independent, non-profit news website established in July 2013 by young Somali journalists and press freedom activists in Somalia. It publishes breaking news, business, sports, editorials, photos and interviews mainly about Somalia and the Somali diaspora. They say their goal is to promote information sharing, democratic, transparency and free debate within Somali society. It’s written in English and Somali.
- www.somaliweyn.com – It is available in Somali with a few English articles.
- www.sunatimes.com – Suna Times is a Somali News website making some investigative reports related to the security issues and terrorism in Somalia. This online outlet, created in 2009, does not always present reliable information. The website is available in English. It has 22 employees and is part of Associated Somali Journalists (ASOJ). The editor of this website Ahmed Abdullahi Fanah was beheaded by Alshabab on September 26, 2012 after they held him hostage for days.
- www.sverigesradio.se – Sweden’s Radio Somali portal. The website is based in Sweden.
- www.voiceofsomalia.net – “Run sheeg, wa rabbi ka Cabsi”- “Tell the Truth, fear God” .Voice of Somalia is an online news website covering news headlines in Somali news, Politics and Society. This website is available in Somali only.
- www.waagacusub.com – Waaga Cusub Media is a news outlet, covering news in Somalia and the Horn of Africa. The site also posts others content, such as music, photos, videos of cultural and social events and interviews with
individuals. The site is owned by Dahir Allasow, who lives in Europe and allegedly escaped Somalia after receiving death threats from Al Shabaab. The site severely criticizes Al Shabaab and its operations in Somalia. In an interview the Chief Editor of the site gave to Somali Radio, an online radio based in North America, he claimed that his mission
is to provide the Somali community with an alternative to the mainstream news aired by most of the news outlets. He also argues that his mission is investigative reporting, with the aim of exposing the corruption, clanism and undercover alliances that influence current Somali political dynamics. Unlike many other Somali news outlets, the site extensively uses clan names to refer to different communities in Somalia.
Although fairly popular, this website does not always present reliable information. It focuses on Somaliland and South Central Somalia. The website is available in Somali with a few English articles mostly from contributors.
- www.wardheernews.com – This website, which has a heavy emphasis on Somali culture and literature, is available in both Somali and English.
- www.waryapost.com – Warya post aims to serve as a platform for a form where Somalia’s leading thinkers, creators, artists and writers can discuss current affairs, issues affecting Somalis and much more. This website is available in English.
- www.waryalist.com – Waryalist.com is a Somali news site that aggregates the latest Somali news from all over the world. Waryalist also streams all Somali satellite channels.
- www.warqaad.com – This website is owned by Abdullahi Ahmed Nur, Star FM reporter in Nairobi. The website was launched two years ago and has attracted an increasing audience among Somalis, both because of its impartiality and the fact that it regularly provides breaking news. It is available only in Somali.
- www.wacaal.com – Wacaal.com is an independent website that provides news from Somalia. Its target is audience is the Somali community in different parts of the world. It focuses on the latest news in Somali which is published in Somali and English. Wacaal Media has correspondents in all major cities and towns across Somalia as well in Nairobi and Garissa. Wacaal Media was established 2 years ago. The website is updated on a daily basis. The editorial teams of Wacaal Media is based in Hague, Kenya and Somalia.